Alan Humphries (アラン・ハンフリーズ, Aran Hanfurīzu) is a Grim Reaper. He is a member of the Grim Reaper Dispatch, and works directly with Eric Slingby—who is also his tutor, partner, and best friend—William T. Spears, Grell Sutcliff, and Ronald Knox.
Alan is a generally solemn and calm individual, but can also be incredibly stubborn. Alan prefers to work alone and, despite his poor health, he is willing to take on large jobs by himself if allowed too. He is also very stern, and has little tolerance for those who break the rules or slack off. In addition, Alan likes Erica flowers, and had taught Eric Slingby the meaning of them: solitude. It is also shown that him and Eric share a close relationship that goes outside of their past mentor and apprentice dynamic years ago.
The Most Beautiful DEATH in the World
Alan is stricken with a disease called The Thorns of Death (死の棘, Shi No Toge). The Thorns are contracted when a soul destined to die becomes vengeful and fight against the Grim Reapers that would reap it; it would manifest into the form of thorns, which will eventually suffocate the heart. There is no known cure; however, it is rumored that it can be cured by the sacrifice of one thousand pure souls.
Alan, despite his illness and his frequent attacks, participates in the hunting of his partner and best friend, Eric Slingby, who is thought to be killing random people simply for his own pleasure. He disguises himself in a dress in order to find Eric at the opera scene.
After Alan confronts Eric, it is revealed that Eric has been collecting souls in an attempt to save Alan's life. Alan forgives Eric. The two agree to run away together, after Alan makes Eric promise not to kill anyone else. They both remove their glasses, which signifies their resignation as Grim Reapers.
Later, when Eric tries to kill Ciel Phantomhive, Alan intervenes and is killed by Eric's Death Scythe. Eric is deeply upset, and asks Sebastian Michaelis to kill him. Sebastian, with the consent of Ciel, ends Eric's grief by slashing through him with Alan's Death Scythe. When Eric dies, the souls that he has collected for Alan are released. They fall like snow around Sebastian and Ciel, creating "the most beautiful death in the world."
- "I was born alone in this world and alone I will die. If this is my fate, why are tears coming out of my eyes?"
- (To Eric Slingby) "I told you I can't see without my glasses. I can no longer see any sin you have committed. Let's go."
Out of Universe
- According to the official Kuroshitsuji character popularity poll, Alan is the fifty-fifth most popular character in the series, with two votes. He shares this spot with Funtom Corporation's rabbit, Arthur Randall, Ludger, Chlaus and the Prince Albert puppet, who also received two votes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Kuroshitsuji musical, The Most Beautiful DEATH in the World
- ↑ June 2015 Issue of Square Enix's GFantasy Magazine
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji manga; Chapter 105, page 11
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji anime; Episode 39
- ↑ Kuroshitsuji OVA, The Story of Will theReaper
|Grell Sutcliff • Othello • Ronald Knox • Undertaker (deserted) • William T. Spears|
|Ludger • Sascha|
|Alan Humphries • Eric Slingby|