|Genre||Action, Black comedy, Dark fantasy, Supernatural|
|Directed by||Shinohara Toshiya|
|Written by||Mari Okada|
|Music by||Taku Iwasaki|
|Licensed by||Australasia: Madman Entertainment |
North America: FUNimation Entertainment
UK: Manga Entertainment
|Network||Animax, CBC, HBC, KAB, MBS, RCC, RKB, SBC, SBS, TBC, TBS|
|English Network||Australia: C31, TVS |
Southeast Asia: Animax Asia
United States: Funimation Channel
|Episodes||24 + 1 OVA (List of Episodes)|
Kuroshitsuji (黒執事, Black Butler) is an anime adaptation of the high-grossing manga series by the same name. It was first announced in July 2008, and debuted in October 2008 on the Tokyo Broadcasting System as well as the Mainichi Broadcasting System. The episodes were directed by Toshiya Shinohara, and were produced by A-1 Pictures. On January 1, 2009, a limited-edition DVD package containing the first episode was released by Aniplex. The next three episodes were released on another DVD thereafter, on February 25, 2009.
Kuroshitsuji constitutes the first season of the Kuroshitsuji anime series; it contains a sum of 24 episodes, including one OVA. It has been compiled into a total of nine DVD releases, which include bonuses such as additional drawings of the characters by Yana Toboso and extra episodes. All 24 episodes share the theme song Monochrome Kiss for the opening, but two different animations accompany it; the first ran from episodes 1-16, while the second ran from episodes 17-24. There are two different ending songs: episodes 1-13 use the ending I'm Alive! while episodes 14-24 use Lacrimosa.
Set in late-nineteenth century England, the first season follows Ciel Phantomhive, the head of the Phantomhive family and the Queen's Watchdog. Though a mere adolescent, he had suffered tremendously; his beloved parents were brutally murdered, and he was subsequently abducted and violently tortured. Seeking revenge, he set up a Faustian contract with his demon butler Sebastian Michaelis, trading his soul in the process. Together, they stealthily monitor the underground society of London, under the command of the Queen, to investigate and eliminate those who commit evil.
Kuroshitsuji diverged from the manga storyline after the Curry Contest Arc. Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus, the third anime series debuted on July 11, 2014, and picked up at where the first season left off (Episode 15) by adapting the Noah's Ark Circus Arc of the manga. It has followed the manga since then.
- Opening Theme: Monochrome Kiss by SID
- Ending Themes:
- Episodes: 24 Episodes
- Total DVD(s): 9
- Director: Toshiya Shinohara
- Series Composition: Mari Okada
- Music: Taku Iwasaki
- Original Creator: Yana Toboso
- Character Design: Minako Shiba
- Art Director: Hiromasa Ogura
- OP Theme Performance: SID
- ED Theme Performances: BECCA (Episodes 1-13)
Kalafina (Episodes 14-24)
- Insert Song Performance: Lotus Juice ("The Dark Crow Smiles")
- Animation Production: A-1 Pictures Inc.
- Music Production: Aniplex
- Sound Production: Trinity Sound
- Recording Studio: Boomerang Studio
- ↑ AnimeNewsNetwork: Kuroshitsuji Anime Confirmed to Premiere This Fall
- ↑ AnimeNewsNetwork: Daisuki to Stream Black Butler: Book of Circus, Sword Art Online II Anime
- ↑ AnimeNewsNetwork: Black Butler Gets 'Book of Murder' Arc Video Anime
- Kuroshitsuji II, the second season
- Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus, the third season
- Anime-Manga Differences
- Official Sites